“Walk another mile, climb another hill, fight another fight.” - Major General Frank Merrill
Mr. Burkhouse is a Member with PK Law and is part of the firm’s Education, Labor and Employment Group. Mr. Burkhouse has litigated cases for a number of the firm’s school board clients in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, as well as the State of Maryland’s Circuit and District Courts. In addition, Mr. Burkhouse routinely participates in special education due process hearings under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
As part of Mr. Burkhouse’s private employment law practice he counsels and represents employers regarding employment discrimination claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Mr. Burkhouse also advises employers with regard to Maryland’s paid sick and safe leave law, non-compete agreements, restrictive covenants, arbitration agreements, trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, and employee hiring and termination procedures.
Prior to joining PK Law, Mr. Burkhouse served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Dennis M. Sweeney and the Honorable Timothy J. McCrone in the Circuit Court for Howard County. He also served as law clerk for the Forensics Division of the Maryland Office of the Public Defender, where he assisted with the criminal litigation of various emerging issues in forensic science.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 2007
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland, B.A., History, 2003
- United States Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- President, Howard County Bar Association, 2013
- President-Elect for the Howard County Bar Association for 2012
- Treasurer, Howard County Bar Association, 2011
- Board Member at Large, Howard County Bar Association, 2009-2011
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, 2007
- Fellow, Maryland State Bar Association Leadership Academy, 2009-2010
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association Special Committee on Veteran’s Affairs and Military Law, 2010
- The Maryland Bar Foundation: Fellow
- Board Member, Howard County Police Foundation
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2011-2014, 2017
- Howard County Bar Association’s “President’s Award For Professionalism”, 2012 and 2013
- Member – American Legion Post 223/Sykesville
- AV® Preeminent™by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected “Best Lawyers in America” for Litigation – Labor and Employment
Prior to returning to school to pursue a legal career, Mr. Burkhouse served in the United States Army as an Airborne Ranger and an Infantry Reconnaissance Team Leader. Mr. Burkhouse, his wife, Katie, and their son, Aiden, reside in Sykesville, Maryland where they enjoy hiking, cycling, and other outdoor activities.