Emily Devan is an Associate in the firm’s General Litigation Group. Emily’s practice includes commercial litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country. She has significant experience with litigation arising from or related to insolvency proceedings including bankruptcy cases, receiverships, and assignments for the benefit of creditors.
Emily graduated cum laude from the University of Maryland School of Law in 2012, where she was a member of the Moot Court Board. She attended the University of Chicago, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and did a year-long study abroad program at the prestigious Waseda University, School of International Studies located in Tokyo, Japan.
Following law school, Emily clerked for Judge Robert Gordon at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland. Prior to joining PK Law, Emily was an Associate in the Delaware office of an international firm and represented clients around the country in commercial litigation and bankruptcy cases.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2012
- University of Chicago, B.A., 2005
- Waseda University, School of International Studies, Tokyo, Japan
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Representation of multinational company in all commercial bankruptcy cases around the country, including many multimillion dollar claims
- Representation of private equity firm accused of fraudulent conduct in $250 million suit
- Representation of major American company in $230 million dollar suit against it, obtaining complete dismissal of all claims
- Representation of banks in disputes arising from foreclosures actions
- Representation of banks in litigation and mediation arising from embezzlement and theft of checks
- Representation of subcontractors in bankruptcy case of international construction firm
- Representation of trustees and receivers in bankruptcy cases
- Representation of former officers and directors of bankrupt entities in claims for wages and severance
- Representation of companies in preference and other clawback suits, including several cases where claims were dismissed in their entirety
- Maryland State Fire Prevention Commission, Member At-Large/Member of the Public
- Foundation for the Baltimore County Public Library, Board Member