Andrew Scott is a Member of PK Law and part of the firm’s Education, Labor and Employment Group with more than a decade of experience representing public school systems, private schools, and private sector employers before federal and state courts, federal and state civil rights agencies, and the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings on a variety of matters, including employment discrimination litigation, collective bargaining, teacher and student discipline, construction and procurement, and wage and hour claims. Mr. Scott also advises clients on the design and implementation of employment agreements, employee handbooks, policies, and procedures.
Mr. Scott also advises educational institutions on labor relations issues, and has litigated such issues before the Maryland Public School Labor Relations Board and in the courts. Mr. Scott also represents clients in ensuring compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and has drafted and negotiated employment contracts, joint venture contracts, facilities contracts, and liability waivers.
Mr. Scott is an adjunct professor of school law at Johns Hopkins University and McDaniel College, and has also lectured on employment law at the University of Maryland School of Law and the University of Baltimore School of Law.
Prior to joining PK Law, Mr. Scott was a law clerk to the Honorable Mary Ellen Barbera of the Supreme Court of Maryland, and the Honorable Albert J. Matricciani, Jr. of the Appellate Court of Maryland. As a law clerk, Mr. Scott analyzed appellate briefs and trial records and drafted opinions involving all areas of civil, criminal, and administrative law, including contract, tort, complex business transactions, land use, labor and employment, and criminal law and procedure.
While in law school, Mr. Scott served as the Associate Managing Editor of the Suffolk University Law Review.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Executive Committee Officer, Abell Improvement Association
- Community Council Member, 29th Street Community Center
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Johns Hopkins University Graduate School of Education
- Adjunct Faculty Member, McDaniel College
- Member, National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- Member, Maryland Council of Local School Board Attorneys
- Selected for inclusion in “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014 – 2017, Schools and Education and Employment & Labor: Employer
- Research Assistant, Maryland School Law Deskbook (LexisNexis)
- The Protection of Pupil Rights Act Amendment, presented at the National Business Institute (May 2015)
- Constitutionality of Racial Balancing in Public Employment, Maryland State Bar Association Bar Bulletin (February 2012)
- Defamation Claims as a Substitute for Teacher Termination Appeals: How School Administrators Can Minimize the Risks of Liability, Presented at the Education Law Association’s 2012 Annual Conference
- Teacher Terminations: Is the “Role Model” Concept a Thing of the Past?, Presented at the Education Law Association’s 2011 Annual Conference
- Exclusive Admissibility of Specific Act Evidence in Initial-Aggressor Self-Defense Cases: Ensuring Equity Within the Adjutant Framework, 40 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 237 (2006)
- Mechanical Race-Conscious Transfer Plan in Elementary and Secondary Public School System Held Constitutional, 39 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 1105 (2006)
- Wood v. Arnold, 915 F.3d 308 (4th Cir. 2019), cert. denied, 140 S. Ct. 399 (obtained affirmance of summary judgment in favor of public school administrators on claim of First Amendment religious indoctrination and compelled speech)
- Barnes v. Bd. of Educ. of Charles County, 747 Fed. Appx. 115 (4th Cir. Aug. 22, 2018) (obtained affirmance of summary judgment in school system’s favor on race, age, and sex discrimination claims).
- Ballinger v. Bd. of Educ. for Prince George’s County, 2017 WL 6759379 (D. Md. Dec. 29, 2017) (obtained summary judgment in school system’s favor on sexual harassment and retaliation claims).
- Karol v. Bd. of Educ. of Calvert County, 2017 WL 6555659 (D. Md. Dec. 22, 2017) (obtained dismissal of sex and discrimination claims against school system)
- S.B. v. Board of Education of Harford County, 819 F.3d 69 (4th Cir. 2016) (obtained affirmance of summary judgment in favor of school system involving student-on-student disability bullying/harassment claims)
- VEI Catonsville, LLC v. Einbinder Properties, LLC, 212 Md. App. 286 (2013), cert. denied, 435 Md. 270 (2013) (obtained affirmance of declaratory judgment in favor of client that appraisal of commercial real estate complied with terms of purchase option agreement)
- Gilliland v. Board of Education of Charles County, 526 Fed. Appx. 243 (4th Cir. Apr. 26, 2013) (obtained reversal of trial court ruling denying school system’s entitlement to sovereign immunity with regard to Fair Labor Standards Act claims)
- Building Materials Corp. of America v. Board of Education of Baltimore County, 428 Md. 572 (2012) (obtained affirmance of summary judgment in favor of school system on claim challenging school system’s ability to purchase roofing repair services from intergovernmental purchasing consortium)
- Diggs v. Board of Education of Baltimore County, 2015 WL 5604278 (D. Md. Sept. 23, 2015), aff’d, 654 Fed. Appx. 131 (4th Cir. June 13, 2016) (obtained summary judgment in favor of school system involving employee’s claims of race and age discrimination and retaliation)
- Anusie-Howard v. Board of Education of Baltimore County, 920 F. Supp. 2d 623 (D. Md. 2013), 983 F. Supp. 2d 645 (D. Md. 2013), 2015 WL 857360 (D. Md. Feb. 26, 2015), aff’d, 615 Fed. Appx. 119 (4th Cir. Aug. 31, 2015) (obtained summary judgment in favor of school system and several employees with regard to Family Medical Leave Act interference and retaliations claims brought by employee)
- Stiner v. Board of Education of Cecil County, 2014 WL 69111 (D. Md. Jan. 7, 2014) (obtained dismissal of employee’s disability discrimination claims against school system and superintendent)
- Krpan v. Board of Education of Howard County, 2013 WL 4400475 (D. Md. Aug. 15, 2013) (obtained summary judgment in favor of school system on employee’s claims of sex, national origin, age, and disability discrimination)
- Cooper v. Kiggins, Case No. 22-C-12-000961 (Cir. Ct. Wicomico County Jan. 4, 2013) (obtained dismissal of negligence and intentional tort claims against school system and school principal arising out of teacher-on-student misconduct), dismissed on appeal, Appeal No. 2093, Sept. Term 2013 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. Dec. 16, 2014)
- Williams v. Board of Education of Wicomico County, 836 F. Supp. 2d 387 (D. Md. 2011), 2012 WL 4517745 (D. Md. Oct. 1, 2012), aff’d 512 Fed. Appx. 277 (4th Cir. Feb. 27, 2013) (obtained summary judgment in favor of school system, superintendent, and several central office employees with regard to employee’s race discrimination, equal protection, and defamation claims)
- Bishop v. Board of Education of Calvert County, 2011 WL 2651246 (July 5, 2011), aff’d, 466 Fed. Appx. 261 (4th Cir. Feb. 16, 2012) (obtained dismissal of employee’s race discrimination and retaliation claims against school system)