“My clients turn to me for advice on how to address internal problems and improve the care they provide to patients to get as close as possible to perfection. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, healthcare providers do get sued and when they do, I represent my clients in Court. Over the years, I have probably learned more about medicine than I thought someone who didn't take Biochem could learn and I have loved every minute of it.”
With over 28 years of extensive trial experience, Catherine represents health care providers in the defense of serious medical malpractice claims before all of the trial courts throughout the State of Maryland and in cases appealed to Maryland’s intermediate and highest appellate courts.
Catherine also represents physicians, nurses, dentists, and other health care providers in proceedings before The Maryland Board of Physicians, The Maryland Board of Nursing, The Maryland Board of Dental Examiners and other administrative agencies of the State of Maryland. In such licensing matters, Catherine assists her clients thorough all phases of the process from the preliminary investigation through charges, hearing and disciplinary action.
In an effort to save her clients the contentiousness and expense of litigation if possible, Catherine provides risk management advice to health care facilities and takes an active role in early resolution of matters where warranted. She also has experience representing hospitals and physicians involved in internal credentialing and privileging proceedings and in other hospital governance matters.
An alumna of The Bryn Mawr School, Catherine received her undergraduate degree in Economics from Tufts University and worked for two years as a legal assistant before entering law school at the College of William and Mary’s Marshall-Wythe School of Law from which she graduated in 1991. Catherine is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America. In 2013, 2017 and 2020, she was recognized as Lawyer of the Year for Professional Malpractice: Defendants by The Best Lawyers of America® and has been recognized in that publication in the areas of medical malpractice and professional malpractice law annually since 2009. Catherine also has been listed in Maryland Super Lawyers since 2007 and has been listed as one of Maryland’s Top 100 Lawyers 2012-2016 and Top 50 Women Lawyers annually since 2012. She is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
Trial List Available Upon Request
- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D., 1991
- Tufts University, B.A., 1986
- The Bryn Mawr School, 1982
- Maryland, 1991
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2007
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Board Member: The Bryn Mawr School Alumnae Association, 2009-2013
- Committee Member: “Gastronomique” 2008 – Benefit for the Johns Hopkins Colon Cancer Center and the Colon Cancer Alliance
- Board Member: Towson YMCA 2001-2005
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, admitted in 2012
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), admitted in 2020
- Best Lawyers in America for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants and Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2009-2020, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America – Professional Malpractice: Defendants for the Baltimore Area – Lawyer of the Year, 2013, 2017, 2020, 2021
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2009
- Committee Member, Maryland State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers 2012-2015
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2008, 2010 – 2020
- Super Lawyers Maryland Top 100 Lawyers, 2012 – 2016
- Super Lawyers Maryland Top 50 Women Lawyers, 2012- 2020
- Maryland Society of Healthcare Risk Managers
- Maryland Defense Counsel
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Wednesday Law Club
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- “You’re Not My Doctor!” The Expanding Scope of Informed Patient Consent. For the Defense, February 2002.
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
Maryland State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers