Tom Zagami has over 30 years of experience representing companies and individuals in commercial litigation and business matters, including matters relating to government permits and real estate development issues.
Mr. Zagami is an AV Preeminent rated attorney—the highest rating that a lawyer can receive for both legal ability and adherence to ethical standards—and he has been recognized throughout his career for his ability as both a trial lawyer and a business lawyer. Based on that combined experience, he has developed a unique perspective from which to advise clients and evaluate the use of litigation or other strategies to advance their goals.
Also because of his experience as both a trial lawyer and a business lawyer, Mr. Zagami is frequently hired by higher net worth individuals to serve as their personal “general counsel,” both on short and long term bases. In that capacity, he advises clients and guides them through the day-to-day nuances of over-lapping legal and business issues. This gives his clients the time and opportunity to focus on other aspects of their business and lives.
Mr. Zagami’s law firm, Thomas J. Zagami, P.A., is Of Counsel to Pessin Katz Law. Prior to his affiliation with Pessin Katz Law, Mr. Zagami was an attorney and a partner at respected law firms in Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, where he held various management positions throughout his career. Mr. Zagami is also a licensed real estate broker in Maryland.
- George Washington University National Law Center, J.D.
- West Chester University of Pennsylvania, School of Business and Public Affairs, Chester County Master Planner Program
- University of Maryland College Park, B.A., cum laude
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Howard County, Maryland Bar Association
- Board of Directors, The Children’s Cancer Foundation, Inc. (1998 – 2000)
- Partner, Howard County Business-Education Partnership Program (1994 – 2005)
- Board Member, Associated Italian American Charities (2005 – 2017)
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Repeatedly Selected to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers for commercial litigation, business services and government permits as published in The Wall Street Journal
- Repeatedly Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Repeatedly Named to Top Attorneys in Maryland, Baltimore Magazine
- Repeatedly Selected to Washington D.C and Baltimore Legal Leaders (Commercial and General Litigation)
- Life Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, The Top Trial Lawyers In America
- Representation of a defendant-company in arbitration against a multi-national manufacturer, resulting in a binding arbitration award in favor of the defendant-company for damages on its counterclaim and for the reimbursement of nearly $1 million in attorneys’ fees pursuant to a fee-shifting provision in the underlying contract.
- Representation of a plaintiff-company in state court against an international insurance company in a breach of contract, misrepresentation and fraud case, resulting in a significant confidential financial payment to the plaintiff-company during discovery.
- Representation of a plaintiff-company in federal court against government officials in a constitutional tort case, resulting in a $6.7 million jury verdict in favor of the plaintiff-company.
- Representation of a company before federal and state regulatory agencies, resulting in the savings to the company of $3 million in environmental mitigation costs associated with the development of a large residential project.
- Representation of the board of directors of a closely-held, Subchapter-S company to conduct an internal investigation into the financial defalcations of two senior employees of the company, resulting in the criminal prosecution of one of the employees and the repayment of embezzled funds to the company.
- Representation of a defendant-company in federal court against a former employee for alleged breaches of a deferred compensation agreement, resulting in a directed verdict in favor of the defendant-company on one claim and a jury verdict minimizing the defendant-company’s financial exposure on the other claim.
- Representation of a company in negotiations with a national home builder for the sale of a 200+ acre tract of land.
- Representation of a company before state and county agencies to obtain the permits and funding necessary for the construction of a new intersection, realignment of two municipal roadways, and installation of a new traffic signal.
- Representation of a company in negotiations with two international companies for the sale of 92 acres and 182 acres of industrial land, respectively.
Each case is different. An attorney’s past record is no assurance that he/she will be successful in reaching a favorable result in any future case.
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell