Pessin Katz Law, P.A. (“PK Law”) is pleased to announce the addition of Attorney Randall M. Lutz to the firm. Randy brings more than three decades of extensive experience in environmental law. He focuses his practice in brownfield redevelopments; environmental permitting and compliance, including counseling clients on regulatory issues with state and federal environmental agencies; litigation of environmental claims; and environmental enforcement defense. He has substantial experience in land use and the energy industry.
Some of the noteworthy projects that he has provided environmental legal assistance include:
- Redevelopment of Sparrows Point, the 3,100 acre former Bethlehem Steel plant, facility and port
- Development of Harbor Point on the former Allied-Signal chrome plant into a 27-acre mixed-use waterfront office, retail, residential and recreational complex on the water in Baltimore
- Development of Canton Crossing, a former Exxon refinery and tank farm into a 30+ acre upscale shopping center including a Target and Harris Teeter
- Development of the Amazon Fulfillment & Sort Center on the former General Motors assembly plant into 1.2 million sq. ft. of operational space
- CERCLA cost recovery federal suit against the former owners of a large Baltimore paint plant
- Defending RCRA suit involving allegations of methane migration
- Defending major water and sewer commission in CERCLA cost recovery federal suit for chemicals leaking from sewers
Prior to reentering private practice, Randy served in various public positions, including: Principal Counsel and Assistant Attorney General for Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, and director of U.S. EPA’s nationwide criminal enforcement program.
Randy is frequently asked to write and speak on a range of environmental and economic development issues. He has been listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation since 1995, was the Best Lawyers in American Lawyer of the Year for Environmental Law in the Baltimore area in 2015 and 2017 and Environment Litigation in 2016 and was named the “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Energy/Environmental Law” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell.
He has been selected for inclusion in Maryland Super Lawyers annually since 2006 and has been recognized by Corporate Counsel as one of the top lawyers for Energy/Public Utility, Environmental and Natural Resources Law in the state of Maryland since 2009.
Randy is joining the firm’s Corporate and Real Estate Group which is headed by Lauren Ades, PK Law Member and the first woman to hold the position in the firm’s more than 30 year history. “We are very excited to have Randy join our group. Randy’s experience in the environmental transaction and litigation arenas means we can now offer our clients these services which often emerge in the real estate transactions, mergers & acquisitions and financing transactions we handle on a regular basis and which we used to have to seek outside legal counsel,” stated Ms. Ades. “I know of no other attorney in the Baltimore area who has the depth of knowledge in environmental law, in so many industries, as Randy. It is a perfect fit for our group and our clients.”