Rochelle’s Special Education Tips
Data Data Data
Education is data driven. No area is more data driven than special education. Principals, Assistant Principals, and Supervisors:
Make sure you are doing the following—
- Personally check to see if data is being kept for each child.
- Direct employees not to destroy data even after it is put into a progress report.
- Make sure data is being accurately kept and not fabricated.
- Do not take anyone at their word. You need to see the data.
- Help employees who have difficulty with keeping data. Some employees do not know how to set up data collection. Make it as easy as possible.
Something we see happening time and time again is that a child shows what appears to be regression from one year to the next which cannot be explained by the normal regression that occurs during the summer break. If we can eliminate problems with data keeping from the prior year, we can better isolate the cause of the regression. Additionally, you be the judge of what conclusions a reasonable person may draw when data is not available to substantiate a progress report. Just saying.