In Tips

Rochelle’s Special Education Tips

When a parent makes a request for an Independent Educational Evaluation (“IEE”), you have two choices: (1) agree to pay for it or (2) file a request for a due process hearing. The IEE does not necessarily have to cover reading, writing, and math. A more frequent IEE request is for a Psychological or Speech and Language assessment. In a hearing, the school system must show that the parents’ IEE did not meet the school system’s criteria for an IEE or that the school system’s evaluation was appropriate.

Tips will provide more information on IEEs in future weeks.

Rochelle’s Special Education Tips (“Tips”) are designed to be helpful and thought provoking, but should not be considered legal advice as they may not be accurate for use in all situations.  Tips are based on my opinions and positions in accordance with federal and Maryland law and my over 35 years of experience in the special education legal field.   – Rochelle S. Eisenberg, Esquire
Copyright © 2016 Pessin Katz Law, P.A. All rights reserved.
Tips may be reproduced for distribution within the educational institution, the individual school or school system and is for use by their staff. Additional distribution must be approved by author.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please e-mail Rochelle S. Eisenberg at, put “unsubscribe” in the subject line and your name will be removed.