In Tips


Rochelle’s Special Education Tips

Signs of Parental Discontent

It is rare for a parent who is satisfied with her child’s education to do the following;

  1. Hire a special education attorney or educational advocate.
  2. Hire an educational consultant to observe in the classroom.
  3. Send questionnaires to teachers to obtain information about the child’s school performance.
  4. Question the appropriateness of the reading program when the child is not reading independently on grade level.
  5. Say she is investigating private school.

In any such instance, run, do not walk, to the principal and Special Education Supervisor. You may still have time to correct a child’s IEP or implement it appropriately before a Request for Due Process Hearing, MSDE complaint, or OCR complaint is filed.

Rochelle’s Special Education Tips (“Tips”) are designed to be helpful and thought provoking, but should not be considered legal advice as they may not be accurate for use in all situations. Tips are based on my opinions and positions in accordance with federal and Maryland law and my over 35 years of experience in the special education legal field. – Rochelle S. Eisenberg, Esquire
Copyright © 2016 Pessin Katz Law, P.A. All rights reserved.
Tips may be reproduced for distribution within the educational institution, the individual school or school system and is for use by their staff. Additional distribution must be approved by author.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please e-mail Rochelle S. Eisenberg at, put “unsubscribe” in the subject line and your name will be removed.
10500 Little Patuxent Parkway
Suite 650
Columbia, MD 21044