“Steven Allen is the person I’d go to,” says an adversary, elaborating that Allen is ruthless in fighting the government for people in need of legal assistance. He has more than three decades of experience that emphasizes commercial, general litigation, and criminal defense. – Benchmark Litigation Profile
Steven A. Allen has been a litigator for over 45 years. Mr. Allen concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and general litigation and criminal defense, including the defense of white collar criminal cases in the federal and state courts. He represents individuals and companies in a wide variety of cases in various state courts throughout Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and state and federal courts outside of this state. He also represents clients in administrative proceedings and before professional boards.
Mr. Allen is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law, where he was the Notes and Comments Editor of the Law Review. Following law school, Mr. Allen served from 1975 to 1976 as a law clerk to a Judge on the Maryland Court of Appeals, and was an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Maryland from 1980 to 1985. Mr. Allen is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In addition to his busy litigation practice, Mr. Allen has also served as an Instructor at the University of Baltimore School of Law and has been a speaker on various litigation issues.
Mr. Allen is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation. He has also been named in The Best Lawyers of America for Commercial Litigation and White Collar and Non-White Collar Criminal Defense and was selected as one of Maryland’s Top 100 Attorneys by his peers in Maryland Super Lawyers & Baltimore Magazine. He is a Benchmark Local Litigation Star for Criminal, General Commercial, Professional Liability and White Collar Crime and has received an AV peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1975
- Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- Drew University, B.A., 1970
- Maryland, 1975
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association, Maryland (2004 – 2006)
- Board of Directors, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation of Maryland (1992 – 2003)
- Board of Directors, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Maryland (1988 – 1992)
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers and Big Sisters for Central Maryland (1985 – 1990)
- Board of Directors, Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney’s Association (1988 – 2003)
- Criminal Law Section Council, Maryland State Bar Association (2010 – present)
- Law Clerk, Judge William J. O’Donnell, Maryland Court of Appeals (1975 – 1976)
- Assistant United States Attorney, District of Maryland (1980 – 1985)
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Maryland Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers, 2012, 2018-2021
- Selected for inclusion in Maryland Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America® – Commercial Litigation and White Collar and Non-White Collar Criminal Defense, 2006-2022
- Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation
- J. Dudley Digges Chapter, American Inns of Court
- Barrister’s Club, Baltimore, Maryland
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation – Local Litigation Star for Criminal, General Commercial, Professional Liability and White Collar Crime, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021 and 2022.
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell